AHF Conducted a Consensus Development Conference for “Influenza Among the Elderly in Latin America”
AHF conducted a consensus development conference in Miami during the week of August 19th, 2012.. Six physicians made up the panel, representing five different countries with the goal of developing a consensus statement regarding this topic and recommendations that are to be published in medical journals with widespread distribution throughout Latin America.. FIDEC (Fighting Infectious Diseases in Emerging Countries) was a co-convener. The consensus statement topic was “Influenza among the elderly in Latin America” The consensus statement addressed the following questions:
- What is the burden of influenza in the elderly?
- Is the clinical course of influenza in the elderly different than in other age-related populations?
- What steps should be taken for the diagnosis of Influenza in the elderly?
- What steps should be taken to prevent influenza in the elderly? Does immunosenescense of the elderly require a different vaccine?
- What is the best treatment of influenza in the elderly?
The panel members were:
- Ricardo W. Ruttiman, MD, Fighting Infectious Diseases in Emerging Countries (FIDEC)
- Pablo E. Bonvehi, MD, Instituto Universitario Cemic, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Diana V. Compte, MD, Instituto Nacional de Cancerologia, Mexico City, Mexico
- Raul E. Isturiz, MD, Centro Medico De Caracas & Centro Medico Trinidad, Caracas, Venezuela
- Jaime A. Labarca, MD, Pontificia Universidad Catolica De Chile, Santiago, Chile
- Edison I Vidal, MD, Universidade Estadual Paulista-UNESP, San Paulo, Brazil
Front row: Dr. Raul Isturiz, Dr. Diana Compte, Dr. Ricardo Ruttimann, Back row: Dick Salvatierra (President AHF), Dr. Edison Vidal, Dr. Jaime Labarca, Dr. Pablo Bonvehi